WARNING

You are using an outdated browser. Please upgrade your browser to improve your experience.

Close [x]

Call Us Today

(913) 649-0440
m

Exclusive Offer

New Clients Receive 
Complimentary Initial Exam
of One Pet.

Sign-up using the form or call us at (913) 649-0440 to take advantage of this exclusive offer.

RSS Feed

Posted on 09-12-2014

Urban Legend #3:  Dogs don't get sick from eating coins   PARTLY TRUE

                                                                

    Pennies minted since 1982 are copper coated, but they contain 97.5% zinc.  In the stomach, the acid dissolves the zinc, poisoning the body.  Besides an upset stomach, zinc can cause damage to the red blood cells, which can be extremely dangerous.  

    Other coins don't cause poisoning, but they can act like a foreign body, causing physical irritation.

    So, to be on the safe side, keep your change in your pocketbook or pocket.  Or better yet, spend it on treats for your pet!!!  They will really appreciate that option.

There are no comments for this post. Please use the form below to post a comment.

Post Comment

Services
We strive to provide complete care for our patients. Learn more about all the services we provide.
Make An Appointment
We will do our best to accommodate your busy schedule. Schedule an appointment today!
Online Forms
Our patient forms are available online so they can be completed in the convenience of your own home or office.